The Romans fell in love with the Costa Daurada because it is a land that has all the ingredients you need to enjoy a unique experience, from the golden beaches of the coast to the green mountains of the interior.
The Costa Daurada is a singular land with a spectacular historical and architectural legacy. It has some of the best leisure attractions and a rich natural heritage. We invite you to discover the Costa Daurada Top 10, the best prelude to a unique holiday with the whole family! Click here to see all the certified Family Holiday Resorts.
The Costa Daurada Top 10
- History has left an important footprint on the monumental heritage of the Costa Daurada. We begin in prehistory with cave paintings like those of Rojals and Cabacés and move on to the monumental remains of ancient Roman Tarraco that date back over two thousand years. From the Middle Ages we can highlight the magnificent monastery of Santa Maria in Poblet. Nearer to our time are the outstanding two-hundred-year-old values and traditions of the castellers (human tower builders) and the Mediterranean diet with its superb health benefits. All of these have been awarded protected status as part of UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
- Eighty kilometres of “Golden Coast” with more than seventy beaches, many of them ideal for families. From long stretches of golden sand that slope gently into the azure waters of the Mediterranean to quiet natural coves surrounded by native vegetation, from north to south, the Costa Daurada offers you a thousand and one possibilities.
- PortAventura World is a universe of fun and excitement. Enter and discover the thematic areas and immerse yourself in a world of adventures that will leave you breathless. From the mythical Dragon Kahn to the turbulent rapids of the water slides in PortAventura Caribe Aquatic Park and not forgetting the thrills of Ferrari Land. Don’t miss any of them!
- The diversity of the Costa Daurada is perfect for producing excellent wines, a singularity that translates into seven different designations of origin. Follow the Wine Routes of the Costa Daurada and taste the wines of the DO Conca de Barberà, DO Montsant, DO Penedès, DOQ Priorat, DO Tarragona, DO Catalunya and DO Cava.
- The emperor Caesar Augustus cured himself of an illness in Tarragona. The city was highly appreciated by the Romans for its mild temperatures and special light. Today it awaits you with its spectacular monumental heritage: the Amphitheatre, the Circus, the Colonial Forum and the Praetorium. Tarragona is a World Heritage Site and they say the stones speak. Who are we to doubt it? Stroll through the historical quarter in the footsteps of the Romans, you’re sure to discover the history of a magnificent city!
- The Middle Ages saw the arrival of Cistercian monks on the Costa Daurada. They built the monasteries of Poblet, Santes Creus and Vallbona (the last of these is now a convent in the province of Lleida). On the Cistercian Route you can visit the old dormitories and kitchens; you can stroll through the cloisters where the only sound is the water of the fountains set among the arches of a unique space.
- Many artists have taken up residence on the Costa Daurada and have turned it into works of art. The Landscape of the Geniuses itinerary will take you to see Gaudí’s Reus with the 29 resplendent buildings that make up the Modernist Route, as well as the Gaudí Centre. You can also hear the musical notes that the cellist Pau Casals played in his house on the beach of Sant Salvador in El Vendrell and visit the countryside around Mont-roig del Camp that so captivated the imagination of the artist Joan Miró for sixty-five years.
- Do you want an active holiday? On the Costa Daurada you’ll find no end of places to enjoy water sports and stunning mountain trails for walking, mountain biking or horse riding. If golf is your passion, there are courses that will turn your round on the links into a spectacular experience. Our mountains are also very popular with rock climbers and thousands of cyclists visit us every year to enjoy the huge variety of road and off-road routes available.
- Did you know that the colour green comes in many tones? On the Costa Daurada you can see them all as you stroll around the resorts, hike in the mountains or take part in one of the many sports available in beautiful inland nature areas, such as the Serra del Montsant Natural Park, the Mountains of Prades and the Poplar Wood of Santes Creus. The coast also has its nature areas, including El Torn Beach in L’Hospitalet de l’Infant i la Vall de Llors and Els Muntanyans Beach in Torredembarra and El Creixell.
- The market gardens, the sea and the countryside are ideal scenarios for the production of quality ingredients with their own identity. Gourmets are happy on the Costa Daurada as they can enjoy quality products prepared according to the corpus of Catalan cuisine, while experimenting with the latest culinary innovations. Are we whetting your appetite?
The Costa Daurada is a unique region where you’ll have a fabulous holiday with the whole family, especially in the resorts that offer special facilities designed for all the different members of the family. Come and visit us to enjoy a unique experience!